Schottey Musings

NOT Just another WordPress site

Advocare Challenge: Day 1

leave a comment »

Is it too dramatic to declare this the “first day of the rest of my life?” Probably Definitively.

So, instead, I’ll point out how I looked at the scale this morning and was relieved to see “344.” It’s not the heaviest I’ve been (I slightly surpassed 400lbs before my stomach surgery in 2004.) It’s also not the heaviest I’ve been lately—I was 356lbs as recently as January. A few weeks ago, I had started with the “8-Hour Diet” which preaches intermediate fasting. I dropped from 356lbs to 339lbs in that time.

Although I was pleased with the results, and wholeheartedly agreed with the science and reasoning behind it, my job keeps me up until midnight and up some mornings around 5am. It’s extremely difficult to only eat 8-hours out of those 19 (or so) hours.

When that didn’t work for me, (and Easter crept up on me), the Schotteys started eating out more again, and I started pounding enough fun-size candy bars to make a King. As bad as 344 is, and as far away from my goal as that is, I was a little relieved that I had somewhat stayed around the weight I had previously lost.

Still, being “not as terrible as I had thought” isn’t “good”…I’m going for good.

My day started at 5am this morning with a big glass of water. The formula Advocare uses for daily water consumption is WEIGHT/2=oz of Daily Water Intake. That’s 21.5 8oz cups of water every day. Combined with the fiber drink I took this morning, some of these blog posts may end up originating from my bathroom. TMI? You’re on my blog, deal with it.

Breakfast was Oatmeal with some frozen fruit cooked into it and a two-egg omelet with spinach, tomatoes and avocado. It was delicious and something I would normally make, but I probably wouldn’t have eaten them together—choosing to snack all morning instead—and it woBreakfastDay1uld have had some salt, cheese and sriracha on the eggs with some salt, milk and brown sugar in the oatmeal. Overall, it kept me satiated until a small snack (an orange—a fruit I would never normally eat since I hate peeling them). My other snacks were an apple and some broccoli in the afternoon and a serving of brown rice Triscuits in the evening.

Lunch was leftovers—chicken breast, mushroom couscous and green beans. Turns out Couscous isn’t really a whole grain. I knew it was technically a pasta, but I thought it was both (and many people list it as both.) So, I’ll have to alter my shopping schedule a little bit. Dinner ended up as a kind of tortilla soup with tomatoes, pinto beans, chicken and a bunch of veggies. Seasoned with a ton of cumin, the only added salt came from the dash of hot sauce I threw into it.

Also went to Walmart to re-define our pantry a bit. Grabbed a bunch of produce (it’s stone fruit season!) and some lean meat—chicken, lean pork chops, thin steaks—as well as some variety of whole grains (Quinoa and wild rice). I was a LunchDay1bit surprised that many of our usual 100% whole grain breads/english muffins/wraps have so much sugar in them. I had to do some digging, but it was rewarding. I’ve mentally made a note to hit up their frozen seafood section next time I feel like celebrating a night we would have normally gone out to do so.

Overall, I didn’t feel like this had any sort of negative effect on my day. I felt more energetic and didn’t even think about snacking as much as usual. While I’m trying to remember that this is about day-24 more than it’s about day-1, I can’t help feeling like the first day was a success.


Written by Michael Schottey

April 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: